Ford has sold 2317 Mustangs in the UK since January, surpassing all the other 250+ hp performance cars on the market. Jaguar stands at second place with 1446 F-Types, while BMW and Porsche sold just a few more than 1300 6 Series and 911 models to date. While the Mustang starts much lower than its competitors at £30,995 in the United Kingdom, its success stands on stronger legs than good value alone.
Here's the deal. I've only driven the EcoBoost with an automatic and a soft top so far, which is arguably the worst combination from an enthusiast's perspective. I was planning to review that car for Jalopnik, but after taking a whole lot of beautiful shots of its yellowness in , I managed to mix up my memory cards and format the wrong one for an upcoming Goodwood event. I know.
These are the only additional images I have left from that weekend:
I'm aware that I need to drive a GT with a stick as soon as possible, not just because that's the proper one, but more because not even the Europeans care about the slightly cheaper EcoBoost: 'The current split in sales across models shows that 70 per cent of customers specified the 5.0-litre V8 engine, with the remaining 30 per cent favouring the 2.3-litre EcoBoost.'
When it comes to American cars, V8, or nothing. I get it. But here's what I'll say about the automatic Eco cabrio in Triple Yellow:
- It looks great.
- It feels lighter on its feet, meaning that it drives sporty enough to back up its shouty color, despite being a lifestyle car, no doubt.
- It's got a decent interior. Not great, but B+ in general, and A for the price.
Do I understand why Europeans buy Mustangs like hotcakes? Yes, I absolutely do. After waiting for the moment to come for a good five decades, it just doesn't suck to own one anymore.