Currently, the title of the quickest GT-R is held by AMS Performance. With a blisteringly quick 8.62 @ 173.81, the West Chicago-based tuning shop set the bar on March 17, 2012, at the TX2K12 event held in Texas. Known as the AMS Alpha Omega project, the GT-R is a testament to the tuning capability of AMS. After years of cutting its teeth tuning world-class Mitsubishi Lancer Evolutions, AMS has transferred its all-wheel-drive knowledge to Nissans. Despite the strong showing, what's lesser known is how the record AMS previously set was broken the day prior by another GT-R—one that's privately owned.
Hing Yim of Las Vegas, Nevada, owns no tuning shop, race team or any other sort of business related to the automotive industry. What he does own is a black 2009 Nissan GT-R and the heart of an enthusiast. He loves speed and his R35 is his passion embodied in four wheels. But when the factory performance of the V-6 VR38DETT engine wasn't enough, Yim took his car to SP Engineering in Industry, California, to undergo its dramatic transformation. Based just outside of Los Angeles, SP Engineering is a full-service tuning shop infamous for its high-horsepower Supras and Lamborghinis.
At first glance, Yim's GT-R looks understated. With the exception of the Volk TE37SL wheels (18×9 front, 18×11 rear), drag tires (Mickey Thompson front, M&H rear) and stickers, the Nissan looks near stock. One look under hood, however, and Greddy's influence is everywhere. From what's visible (intake manifold, blow-off valves, intercooler piping) to what's not (sleeves, TD06SH-20G turbos), much of the engine and turbo components have been swapped for Greddy parts. In the drivetrain, stouter PPG and Dodson gears are employed as is a Dodson clutch and OS Giken differential. For suspension, KW Clubsport coilovers replace the factory units. To make everything work, SP Engineering has handled the brunt of the installation and tuning, with Greddy, KW and lending a helping hand and wrench.
On March 16, 2012, Hing Yim himself staged the car at a Nevada drag strip. With no parachute or roll cage and a whole lot of horsepower and courage, he lit up the tires running an 8.793 @ 167 mph run, besting the then record of 8.975 sec. held by AMS Performance. While Yim's glory was shortlived—a day to be exact—he is still more than elated with his GT-R's performance. After all, bolt back in the passenger seat and some interior carpet and he can cruise the Vegas strip terrorizing sport bikes and super cars alike. But don't think that means Yim doesn't have his eyes set on AMS' record. He's working with SP Engineering on a new setup to change his status from World's Quickest Privately-owned GT-R to just the World's Quickest GT-R.
- VR38DETT Performance Modifications
- New Displacement:4.3 liter
- Peak Horsepower (@ RPM):1177 bhp
- Peak Torque (@ RPM):971 lb.-ft.
- Dyno Type:Mustang
- Engine Builder:Greddy
- Turbocharger: Greddy TD06SH-20G (x2)
- Block Modifications: Greddy JDM Sleeve from Japan
- Pistons / Compression Ratio:JE Forged 9.5:1
- Connecting Rods / Crank:Carrillo / Greddy
- Camshafts:Tomei 280
- Valves / Springs / Retainers:Supertech
- Cylinder Head Modifications:Greddy CNC Machined Combustion Chamber
- Cylinder Head Gasket:Greddy
- Head / Main Studs:ARP / ARP
- Intake Manifold / Throttle Body:Greddy / Greddy
- Air Induction System:SPE 90mm
- Fuel Injectors:ID 2000CC
- Fuel Delivery System:Greddy Fuel Rail
- Engine Management System:COBB AP
- Engine Management Tuner:SP Engineering
- Spark Plugs:HKS M45
- Exhaust Manifold:Greddy
- Exhaust System / Downpipe:Greddy
- Blow-Off Valve:Greddy
- Cooling System:Greddy DCT